Assessment of Statin Utilization Pattern for Primary Prevention in Patients with Type 2 DM Who have Follow up at Diabetic Clinic in Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital; A Hospital-Based Cross Sectional Study, 2021

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


Background: cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality among type 2 diabetic (T2DM) patients. Statin therapy is effective in reducing cardiovascular events for both primary and secondary prevention of ASCVD. Objective: to assess statin utilization extent for primary prevention of CVD in patients with type 2 DM who are above 40yrs having follow up at diabetic clinic TASH. Methods and materials: a hospital based cross-sectional study was conducted based on data collected using structured questionnaire by face-to-face interview and the digital record system from june 10, 2021, to September 20,2021.Data entry was made using Epi info version 3.1 and was analyzed using SPSS software version 25. RESULT: A total of 376 of patients with the age above of 40 with T2DM were participated in this study. statin prescription rate was 87.4%. almost all of patients (99.1%) who are taking statin were on moderate intensity and above with 59.3%% and 39.8%% received moderate and high -intensity statin respectively. From the study conducted, the most commonly prescribed statin was Atorvastatin (85.6%). Predictors of statin prescription were age, use of Both insulin and metformin, occupational status and monthly income as independent determinants of statin use. Use of both insulin and metformin increased the odds of statin use by 2.29 times as compared to the counterparts [AOR= 2.29; 95% CI: 1.07, 4.95]. Having other occupation led to 79% less odds for statin use as compared to government employees [AOR=0.21; 95% CI: 0.09, 0.51]. For each 1-year increase in the age of the patients, the odds of using statin increases by 5% [AOR= 1.05; 95% CI: 1.02, 1.10]. CONCLUSION: In conclusion this study done at showed the highest rate of statin prescription of 87% for primary prevention of ASCVD in type 2 DM patients who are above 40 compared to other studies done recently.Which is consistent with contemporary guidelines recommendation for dyslipidemia and primary prevention of ASCVD.



Type 2 DM, Statins, Utilization Pattern, Addis Ababa