Hospital Based Prospective Cross Sectional Study on Doppler Ultrasound Finding Pattern of Lower Extremities Peripheral Arterial Diseases in Patients Scanned at Chest and Vascular Unit Radiology Department of Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


Introduction-Peripheral artery disease (PAD) is an important global health problem and associated with considerably high morbidity and mortality. It is a disease process resulting from obstruction of large peripheral arteries, exclusive of the coronary and intracranial cerebrovascular system, commonly due to atherosclerosis. Imaging modalities for evaluating peripheral arterial disease in the lower extremities includes computed tomography angiography, conventional angiography, and Doppler ultrasonography. Doppler US is the only noninvasive technique that does not require contrast enhancement, preparation of the patient before the study, or radiation exposure [10, 11]. Doppler US is a good method for screening and follow-up, as well as for the definitive diagnosis of peripheral arterial disease Objective- This study generally asses and describe the doppler ultrasound finding pattern of the lower limb peripheral arterial disease with common indication of lower limb peripheral arterial doppler ultrasound in TASH and associated risk factors for the development of PAD. Methods and materials- This is a hospital based prospective study to assess the doppler ultrasound pattern of lower limb peripheral arterial disease on patients for whom unilateral or bilateral lower limb arterial doppler ultrasound done at TASH department of Radiology, Chest and Vascular unit. The ultrasound was done by final year (R3) radiology residents of AAU. Result- There were a total of 78 patients involved in the study of whom 49 are male and the rest 29 are female. The age of the patients ranges from 20 to 88 years old with mean age of 54±19. The most common indications for the study are peripheral arterial disease (PAD) followed by intermittent claudication and arterial thrombosis. Regarding the risk factors the top three risk factors identified are diabetics, smoking and hypertension. Of the total patients 56(71.8%) of them have arterial lesions with 43(76.8%) of them having multifocal lesions. 39(50%) of patients had intimal thickening and 39(50%)of patients had arterial plaque being 26(66.7%) of the plaque are multifocal. Arterial thrombus was found in 16(20.5%) of the patients of whom 10 (62.5%) are male and the rest 6(37.5%) are female. 34(43.6%) of patients had arterial stenosis or total occlusion of which 21(61.8%) of them had total occlusion followed by 20 -49% luminal narrowing and 50-99% luminal narrowing each representing 9(26.5%) and 3(8.8%) of the patients with arterial stenosis. Conclusion-In this study we found DM and cigarettes smoking are the significant risk factor for PAD and multifocal intimal thickening, hypoechoic plaque and total arterial occlusion are frequently seen arterial lesions on doppler ultrasound



Arterial diseases , patients