Public’s Awareness and Practice of One Health Approach in Preventing Zoonotic Diseases in Sibu-Sire District, East Wollega Zone,West Ethiopia

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


This study was conducted with the objective of assessing public‘s conception and practice of One Health Approach in preventing zoonotic diseases in Sibu- Sire district, Oromia regional state, Southwestern Ethiopia using questionnaires and face-to-face interview technique. The total number of participants consisted of 428. Males (n=316) accounted for 73.8 % and female (n=112) 26.2%. The respondents were stratified into four groups namely, teachers (n=13), students (n=79), farmers (n=299), and nurses (n=37). Among the study groups 83.4% were rural residents and the rest 16.6% urban dwellers. Around 73% of them were married. A total of 251 (58.6%) of the study subjects were illiterate, whereas 41 of them (9.6%) had basic education .The rest 32% (n=137) of the respondents attended from primary school to university education. Many of them (72.6%) of farmers and 63.3% of the students did not know about One Health Approach. Public‘s practice of One Health Approach to prevent zoonotic disease in the area is very low, 66.1% (n=283) of the respondents said that zoonosis prevention through One Health Approach was little. Rabies as a zoonotic disease was known to majority of the respondents (99%), With regard to rabies as a zoonotic disease, there was no significantly (P>0.05) different level of awareness among the different respondent groups which can imply that rabies is a well known disease in the area whereas brucellosis was known by too few respondents (0.7%). There was no statistically (p>0.05) significant association between knowledge about brucellosis and educational status of the participants in this study. A large number (71.1%) of the respondents consumed raw meat regardless of their knowledge about transmission of zoonotic diseases. Majority (95.7%) of farmers do not know the occurrences of zoonosis through inhalation. Over 56% of them do not know direct contact with animals could cause zoonosis. According to this study 74.2% of these farmers do not know handling animals with cut and 62.9% of them sharing the same room with animals could cause disease to human. Similarly 86.6% of the farmers do not know whether human could be infected by zoonotic diseases through vectors. In general, the present study revealed a very low level of awareness by the public about One Health Approach and major zoonotic diseases, signifying the need for public health promotion through education and inter-disciplinary One Health Approach with close collaboration among health extension workers, agricultural extension workers, wild life experts, environmentalist and kebele leaders.



Transmission, Emerging, Prioritization, Re-Emerging