Assessment of Cattle Husbandry and Marketing Practices in Burji Woreda, Segen Zuria Zone of Snnprs, Ethiopia

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababauniversity


This study was conducted to assess cattle husbandry and marketing practices in the crop-livestock production system areas of the highland and mid-altitude and pastoralists in the lowlands of Burji woreda of Segen Zurea zone of southern Ethiopia. The cattle husbandry and marketing practices were assessed based on one time field visit, questionnaire survey and focus group discussions in highland, mid-altitude and lowland altitude area. A total of 100 farmers were selected randomly from 10 Kebeles, which are selected based on proportion of kebebes exist in altitude zones for the study. The survey showed that the majorities 81% of household heads under investigation were males and the rest 19% were female. The average family size in the highlands, mid-altitudes and pastoral areas were 9.0±0.5, 9.4±0.3 and 11.1±0.5 respectively. The survey showed that cattle were the most important species in the study area. Average livestock holding per household varied across the altitude zones, especially cattle and oxen holding per household in highland, midland and lowland altitude zones were, 13.7±2 cattle and 4.1±0.4 oxen, 11.6±1 cattle and 3.98±0.3 oxen and 29.3±2.5 cattle and 6.2±0.4 oxen respectively. Natural pasture is the major feed resource of the woreda, but communal grazing land in their area is dwindling at an alarming rate. Crop residues provided the second major feed resources for livestock, particularly during the dry season when biomass of natural grazing lands is very low. The constraints to cattle production system were feed shortage, drought, and diseases and parasites particularly Trypanosomiasis, shortage of grazing land, veterinary services, extension services, marketing and other infrastructures. Hence, more emphasis should be given to improving livestock productivity through strong extension services in proper management of the rangelands, feed conservation, crop residues treatment, healthcare, marketing and provision of credit facility. Keywords: cattle husbandry, constraints, crop residues, natural pasture, marketing and rangelands



cattle husbandry, constraints, crop residues, natural pasture, marketing and rangelands