Lesion Characterization, Associated Risk Factors and Financial Impact of Hydatid Cyst of Dromedary Camels Slaughtered at Addis Ababa Akaki Kality Municipal Abattoir, Ethiopia

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


A cross-sectional study was conducted from October 2021 to May 2022 to characterize hydatid cyst lesions, analyze associated risk factors and estimate the annual direct financial loss due to hydatid cyst infected organs condemnation during postmortem examination in dromedary camels slaughtered at Addis Ababa Akaki Kality Municipal abattoir, Ethiopia. A total of 370 camels were purposively sampled and systemic meat inspection was employed to detect the presence of hydatid cyst. Out of 370 examined dromedary camels in different organs, 96 (25.9%) camels were found harboring hydatid cyst. The percentage of hydatid cyst in adult camels were 29.67%; OR= 1.54 while in young it was 18.55%. Likewise, the prevalence of hydatid cyst in poor, medium and good body condition score was 61.4%; OR= 10.79, 30.89%; OR= 3.30 and 12.11% respectively. The current results indicated that age and body condition score were significantly (P<0.05) associated with the prevalence of hydatid cyst. The prevalence of hydatid cyst in male dromedary camel was (14.59%) found higher than female (11.35%). The prevalence of hydatid cyst in camels originated from Borana, East Hararge, Jigjiga, Karrayyu, Matahara, Minjarshenkora and Wollo were 9.18%, 0.54%, 4.86%, 3.51%, 3.78%, 1.08% and 2.97%, respectively. The result indicated, origin and sex didn’t have significant association (P>0.05) with the prevalence of hydatid cyst. Out of 96 totally infected camels, only 9 (9.38%) cases had hydatid cyst on both lung and liver while the remaining 87 (90.62%) cases had hydatid cysts only in single organ. Of 105 totally infected organs, percentage of distribution of hydatid cyst in lungs, livers, spleen and heart were 87.61%, 10.47%, 0.95% and 0.95% respectively. Grossly, hydatid cyst of lung had a shape of cotton ball, implanted in lung parenchyma, filled with clear to slightly turbid fluid, soft and malleable to touch and inside white germinal layer while hydatid cyst of the livers was firm, calcified and strong when it was about to be cut off. Microscopically, hydatid cyst structure overlying organs had a fibrous layer on the external (pericyst), an acellular eosinophilic laminated membrane layer on the middle (ectocyst) and a germinal layer internally (endocyst) and protoscolices were also seen in a lung section. Fibrous layer had infiltration of epitheliod macrophages, lymphocytes and eosinophils showed inflammatory response to hydatid cyst layer and cellular infiltration was lessened when they went away from hydatid cysts. Histopathology of lungs infected with hydatid cyst displayed massive alveolar damage, some alveoli were emphysematous, congested, hemorrhagic and atelectatic in the fibrous layer. In hydatid cyst infected liver histology, there was hemorrhage, hepatocyte degeneration and cytoplasmic swelling with dilation of nucleus in fibrous layer. The total annual direct financial loss due to hydatid cyst was estimated to be 86,209.63 Ethiopian birr. As conclusion, this study helps to identify pathological patterns, prevalence and financial impact of hydatid cysts at Addis Ababa Akaki Kality Municipal abattoir. So that creation of public awareness and control of stray dogs were suggested recommendation.



Abattoir, Prevalence, Camels, Financial impact, Histopathology, Hydatid cyst