The Influence of Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction: The Case of Addis Ababa City government Land Holding Registration and Information agency: Yeka sub city branch office

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


The main objective of this study was to see the influence of service quality on customer satisfaction of AALHRIA: Yeka sub city branch office by using performance only measure or SERVPERF method. The study is quantitative in its approach and has been able to use descriptive and explanatory research deign. To achieve its objective data has been collected by dispatching self-administered questionnaires to 384 customer of the respective branch offices of the agency which comprises of attributes of the five service quality dimensions and underlying variables that are expected to measure their perception of the service quality as what the study has employed was SERVPERF method. While selecting those respondents convenience sampling technique has been used. Thus based on the inputs obtained the data has been analyzed by using SPSS version 20 software. Accordingly, by using various statistical tools like mean, correlation and multiple regression the required analysis has been made in order to identify the possible relationships and the real problems at hand..The finding of the study reveals that all the five service quality dimensions namely Tangibility, reliability, responsiveness, assurance and empathy have a positive and significant relationship with customer satisfaction among which responsiveness is the one which is positively and strongly correlated with customer satisfaction that any of the other explanatory variables. The findings has also indicted that the dominant service quality dimension that has an influence on customer satisfaction is responsiveness and all the coefficients relating the service quality dimensions to the overall service quality and to customer satisfaction are positive and statistically significant .Therefore being responsive enough and working for the betterment of it is one of the influential matter which requires attention in order to excel the level of customer satisfaction of the respective agency branch office. The study in general has concluded that all the service quality attributes do have a significant effect on customer satisfaction. On the other hand the mean result has shown that most customers are dissatisfied with the variable empathy which is the variable on which the agency is supposed to make an effort to enhance the level of the service quality so as its customer satisfaction as well. Besides the service quality dimensions have significantly explained 73.5% of the variation on customer satisfaction where the remaining 26.5% of its variation may be explained by other factors that were not examined in this study. It has been able to identify the problems which the agency is facing by identifying its areas of weaknesses and improvements based on which it enables them to take corrective measures. Finally a conclusion has been made and the recommendation has been forwarded to come up with a high quality service and which in turn has a direct influence on customer satisfaction which would also leads the agency to build its image and to boost the trust the public has towards the government .


A Thesis Submitted to College of Business and Economics Department of Management, Addis Ababa University, in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Master of Business Administration


Customer satisfaction, Service quality dimensions