Prevalence of femur fracture and its associated factors in Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital Orthopaedics center, Addis Ababa Ethiopia.

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


Background: Femur is the strongest and principal load-bearing bone in the lower extremity, it can support up to 30 times the weight of an adult. Globally, femoral fracture is a common condition associated with high morbidity and mortality. Globally, it is estimated that 1.0 to 2.9 million people per year suffer from femoral fractures. Despite the fact that femoral fracture is a significant public health concern, little attention has been given to it in many countries, including Ethiopia. Objective: to assess the prevalence of femur fracture and its associated factors in Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital (TASH) Orthopedics Center, Addis Ababa Ethiopia. Methods: A 2-year retrospective Hospital-based cross-sectional study design was employed. The study was conducted in TASH Orthopedic center from January 1 to 25 /2021. A total of 392 randomly selected fracture patient records kept in TASH from June 2018 to June 2020 were studied. Data were collected by using a checklist through Open Data Kit (ODK) and analyzed using SPSS version 25 software package. To identify factors associated with femoral fracture sites, Bivariable and Multivariable binary logistic regression analyses were done. Statistical significance was considered at level of significance of 5%, and adjusted odds ratio (AOR) with 95% confidence interval (CI) was used to present the estimates of the strength of the association. Result: The prevalence of femoral fracture was 28.6% (95% CI:24.1-31.1) among fractured patients admitted in the orthopedic surgery and traumatology department of TASH. The majority (77.7%) of the cases were males. In younger patients, femoral shaft was the commonest fracture site (57.5%) and road traffic accidents were the commonest cause of injury (58.8%). In older patients’ proximal femoral fracture was the commonest fractured site (68.8%) and low energy falls were the commonest cause (73.3%). The identified associated factor for proximal femoral fracture and femoral shaft was age >40 year with [AOR= 5.11; 95% CI: 1.58 – 16.58] and [AOR= 0.09; 95% CI: 0.024 – 0.32] respectively. Fall [AOR= 0.03; 95% CI: 0.10-0.89 and bullet injury [AOR= 0.03; 95% CI: 0.01-0.81] were associated factors for femoral shaft fracture as compared to RTA. Conclusion: The Prevalence of femoral fracture was high compared to reported literatures. The risk of proximal femoral fractures increases with ageing in contrast to that of shaft fracture. The risk of femoral shaft fracture is lower in fall down accident and bullate injury as compared to RTA.



Femur; Fracture; Prevalence; Patterns; Risk factors; TASH, Ethiopia