Prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns of Enteropathogen among under-five Children with Diarrhea in Yekatit 12 Hospital Medical College,Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


Background: Globally, diarrheal disease is a common condition associated with high morbidity and mortality in under 5 children. Every day, it is estimated that more than 4000 children lose their lives due to diarrhea. Despite its significant public health concern, little is known about prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns of enteropathogen in many countries, including Ethiopia. Objectives: To determine Prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns of Enteropathogen among under-five children with diarrhea in Yekatit 12 Hospital Medical College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Methods: A hospital-based cross-sectional study design was employed from October to march 2021 among 411 conveniently selected diarrheic patient in Yekatit 12 hospital Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Data were collected by using Structured questionary. Stool samples was examined for parasites and enteric bacteria. Each bacteria then identified using colony morphology and standard biochemical tests. Anti-microbial susceptibility testing was performed by using disc diffusion techniques on Muller Hinton Agar. The collected data were analyzed using SPSS version 25 software package. To identify factors associated with enteropathogen, Chi-square (χ2) test was applied statistical significance was considered at level of significance of 5%. Result: Among 411 examined stool samples, in more than a quarter (106(25.8%)) of the samples enteropathogen was detected. Of those majority (90(84.9%)) were intestinal parasites the rest (16(15.1%)) were positive for bacteria. Entamoeba histolytica and salmonella were the predominant enteropathogen which accounts for (51(12.4.7%)) and (10(2.4%)) respectively. unprotected drinking water source(P=0.002), poor hand washing practice of care giver (P=0.020) and poor Cleaning of utensil for child feeding(P=0.025) were statistically significant for the presence of enteropathogen in stool. Among patients who had Salmonella and shigella infections almost all were resistant for ampicillin and amoxicillin. But all the identified Salmonella and shigella isolates were sensitive to Ciprofloxacin and Ceftriaxone. Conclusion and Recommendation: The finding of this study indicates that Entamoeba histolytica and salmonella species were the predominant etiologies and the presence of bacterial isolates resistant to the commonly prescribed drugs for treating diarrhea in children Therefore, carry on identified associated factors and regular drug susceptibility test is essential to reduce the problem.



Prevalence, Enteropathogen, Diarrhea in under-Five Children