Bacterial Pathogens and Their Drug Susceptibility Pattern in Children with Aerobic Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media in Addis Ababa

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


In Ethiopia, as most developing countries there. is little information on chronic suppurative otitis media. Thus, this study was conducted to establish the causative microorganisms in chronic suppurative otitis media among children aged 0- I 2 years and to determine antibiotic treatment based on the information of antimicrobial sensitivity pattern of the isolates. A structured questionnaire designed for the purposes of this study was used to collect information from patients as well as parents. A total of 112 (63 males, 49 females) patients consisting 25% of those seen at the ear, nose and throat (ENT)clinic of the Ethio-Swedish Children's Hospital with problem of chronic suppurative otitis media were studied. Most of them (83%) were from Addis Ababa. Their age range was from 3 months to 12 years, 38.4% of them below 2 years of age. Bacterial pathogens were -isolated fi'om ear discharge of 120/132 (90.1%) swabs with chronic suppurative otitis media, while the remaining 12/132 (9.9%) were sterile. Of the 159 total isolates, 106 (66.7%) were identified as single pathogens, while 53 (33.3%) were mixed isolates. The main organisms isolated in the order of frequency were Proteus species, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus allrellS, Klebsiella species, Pselldomonas aerllginosa, and Staphylococclls epiderlllidis. Antibiotic sensitivity test results showed that the majority of the isolates were sensitive to Gentamicin, Kanamycin and Augmentin. Most of the isolates were resistant to commonly used antibiotics including, Tetracycline, Ampicillin and Penicillin. The result of this study showed that these three drugs should be considered in treating children with chronic suppurative otitis media in our setting. A randomised controlled clinical trial of these drugs is recommended to establish their in vivo efficacy and effectiveness studies need to be carried out in a community settings.