Prevalence and Factors Contributing to Late Diagnosis of Breast Cancer Among Women Attending Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital, Oncology Unit, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2017

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


Background: Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in women worldwide. In Ethiopia breast cancer is becoming the first common cancer and higher maternal deaths in the country. The finding from this study will have a significant benefit in promoting prevention and early control mechanisms, conscious the policy makers and national programs about the need of preventive, treatment, diagnostic and palliative care facilities and shows the way to address it on the system. Objectives: The aim of this study is to ass’s prevalence and factors contributing to late diagnosis of breast cancer among women attending at Tikur Anbessa Specialized hospital, oncology unit, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2017. Methods: Facility based quantitative cross-sectional study was employed from March 2017. Systematic sampling technique was used involving 215 study participants. Data was collected using structured questionnaire for interview and supported from medical records. Collected data was cleaned for incompleteness and inconsistencies using Epi info 3.1. Data analysis was carried out using SPSS 20 version. Descriptive statistics including, frequencies, proportions and measures of central tendency was employed. Bivariate and multivariate analysis using Odds ratio (OR) was utilized to evaluate association between dependent and independent variables. P-value less than 0.05 were considered as level of significance for associations. Result: In this study the prevalence of late diagnosis of breast cancer is 184(88.89%) with the remaining 23(11.11%) study participants early stage. According to this study, around 77 (52%) of the respondents mentioned lack of awareness about breast cancer symptoms as a reason for late diagnosed also 61 (41.2 %) of them reported as breast cancer relieve by itself, and 57 (38.5 %) difficult to make decision to go to health facility for help seeking as the reasons for late diagnosis related with the patient. Occupation was only variable significantly associated with late diagnosis of breast cancer among the socio-demographic characteristics {AOR=0.2; 95% CI (0.001-0.80)}. Others such as Health facility, consulted before being referred to TASH and breast examination done in initial consultation was significantly associated with late diagnosis of breast cancer {AOR=1.10; 95% CI (2.50-4.85)}, {AOR=3.32; 95% CI (2.97-5.86)} respectively. Conclusion and recommendation: The study revealed that almost three fourth of the women were diagnosed for breast cancer at late stage. Awareness of breast cancer patients about early detection methods was low. Increase knowledge of women on different types of breast cancer symptom in order to increase early detection. Key Words: late diagnosis, factor and breast cancer.



Late diagnosis, Factor and breast cancer