Assessment of attitude of parents towards their girl-childrens’education in bure woreda,west gojjam,Ethiopia,2014 G.C.

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Abeba University


Background- Attitudes and preferences regarding female children’s educational attainment are important determinants of parents’ childrearing behavior. Parent’s attitudes are mainly influenced by traditional beliefs regarding the ideal roles of women and girls in society. Traditionally, the only roles available to women were those of wives and mothers. These traditional beliefs have been found to foster negative attitudes which limit family and community support for girls’ education. Identification and examination of these attitudes is necessary before any decisions can be made on what should and can be done to bring about change. Objective –To assess the attitudes of parents towards girl children’s’ education in Bure woreda, west Gojjam, Ethiopia, 2014 E.C Methods- A descriptive cross sectional study was conducted to assess parent’s attitude towards girl child education in Bure woreda, west Gojjam, Ethiopia. A total of 369 samples used for the study. The sample selected using simple random sampling and systematic sampling methods. The data was analyzed by correlation and chi square using SPSS version 20 window7. IRB of AAU was review the protocol to ensure full protection of the rights of study subjects. Informed oral parental consent was obtained from all subjects, and at least one parent was present during the data collection. The Study was conducted from November 2013 to June 2014 with the total cost of 22,102.5 ETB. Result - Out of the total 350 respondents, 174(50.3%) were male. The age of the respondents distribution shows that majority {(131 (37.4%)} were in the age grouping of 31-40 years with the mean age 38.75 years and standard deviation of 9.315 years. more than three fourth of the participants (76%) had positive attitude towards girl child education and the remaining 24% had negative attitude. From the total number of girl children (603) whose age was 7-18, 515(85%) girls were attending school, 40(7%) dropping school and the remaining 48(8%) didn’t attending school. Conclusion and recommendation- This study reveals that most of the respondents’ perception towards girl-child education was very good with more than half of respondents saying that educating a girl child is important.



Attitude, parents, girl-child, education