Approach to Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and Its Implication for Quality Education: The Case ofMizan-Tepi University

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


The main purpose of this study was examining the extent to which teachers and students of Mizan-Tepi University adopt a desirable (high quality) teaching and learning approach. The study was concunent explanatory in its design of mixed approach. The study made use of questionnaire and interview as a tools for data coll,e ction. From 66 teachers and 212 students data were analyzed with correlation, multiple regression and cluster analysis. Comparison between and among groups also made using independent t-test and ANOV A. Teachers' approach to teaching and bringing good practice of teaching were related significantly. Similarly the conelation between students' perception of their learning environment and the approach to learning showed a significant relationship. Beside this, Workload (~=-0.456,t=-4.534,p<0. 00 1) and professional course (~=0.378, t=3.763,p<O.00l) were important predictors for teachers' adoption of desirable teaching approach. Having less workload and pedagogical skills of teaching, will lead to adopt high quality teaching approach and bring good practice of teaching. Variables like experience, qualification, gender and faculty did not influence teachers to practice teaching in its desirable approach. Good teaching (~=0.348 , t= 4.281 , p<O.OOl), Generic skills (~ =0.297 , t= 3.653, p<O.OOI) and appropriate workload (~=0 . 187, t= 3.484, p<O.OI) contributed significantly to the variance of adopting high quality learning approach. An environment which have good teaching, generic skills and appropriate workload, encourage students to adopt a desirable learning approach. Finally, 61 % (n=40) of teachers in the sample have adopted a desirable (high quality) teaching approach and they are bringing good practice while the rest 39% (n=26) practicing in its low quality. Similarly, 75% (n=158) of students in the sample perceived their learning environment as suppoliive of their learning and adopted a desirable (high quality) learning approach while 25% (n=54) perceived their learning environment as less suppoliive and adopted a low quality learning approach. This implies that, the majority of staffs and students are in a position of practicing quality teaching and learning in line with the criterion set by HERQA. To sustain this practice, all the stakeholders of the teaching learning process (management body, teachers and students) should play their role.



Higher Education and Its Implication for Quality Education