Serum Immunoglobulin G Concentration in Lamb and Goat Kid, Awash Fentale, Afar Nations Regional State, Ethiopia

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



In this study a total of 143 head (97 lamb and 46 goat kid) were randomly selected from 3 villages, Awash Fentale district, Afar Regional State, Ethiopia. To determine the serum IgG concentration of lamb and goat kid in the study area and to determine effect of parity, age, birth type, sex and dam body condition in transfer of passive immunoglobulin concentration in the study area. From lamb and goat kid blood sample was taken at 2-7 days of age. 4 ml of blood was collected from jugular vein puncture in a sterile plain tube and serum collected by centrifuge. The species specific sheep and goat radial immuno diffusion kit analyzed serum result after 24 hrs showed as rang from 47.64 to 6071.632 mg/dl serum IgG concentration of lamb and goat kid ranges from 169.577 to 3559.875 mg/dl serum IgG concentration. The radial immuno diffusion result showed as 21.6 % of newborn lambs in the study area have failure of passive immunoglobulin concentration and the remaining 78.4 % had adequate passive immunity and 83.4 % of goat kids have adequate passive immunoglobulin concentration and 16.6 % kids had failure of passive immunoglobulin concentration from their dams. The result showed that failure of passive immunity important in the study area. Among the considered risk factors evaluated by simple and multiple logistic regression the age of the lamb and type of delivery was statistically significant P value (P<0.05) on lamb. Generally, passive immunity transfer increased by colostrum feeding and animal husbandry management intervention and significant for pastoralist whose livelihood is dependent on livestock.



colostrum, concentration, immunoglobulin