The Demand for and supply of primary school teachers in benishangul gumuz region

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa Universty


This study examines the trends and current status of the demand for and supply of primary school teachers in Benishangul Gumuz Region with a focus on teacher quantity and quality. Descriptive analysis of data on student enrolment and standard teacher –section ratio was used to analyze teacher demand. The supply side of the analysis mainly focused on the examination of the status of current teaching force in terms of number and quality in the region, the prevailing status of prospective graduates of Gilgel Beles College of Teacher Education, and the potential intake capacity of the college. Primary data on the opinion of informed officers and officials were gathered using Questionnaires and Focus Group Discussions. Secondary data on school age population, students’ enrolment, college intake and graduation, and the teaching force is obtained from the annual education abstracts, policy documents, periodic plans and reports of the region. Tremendous increase in the number of students and teachers was recorded for the last five years. The number of students enrolled in primary schools increased from 144672 to 161914. Similarly, the total number of teachers increased from 3078 to 3949. In terms of qualification, there were 1113 qualified teachers 2006/7, and increased to 1359 during 2010/11.Thus, the demand and supply analysis shows under supply of qualified teachers and over supply irrespective of qualifications. This shows that of the total teachers in the region, only 34 percent are qualified to the level. Thus, the problem of teacher supply in primary schools of the region is not of the quantity; rather it is more of the quality. An overview of the teacher training system in the region shows underutilization of Gilgel Beles College of Teacher Education. Of the total graduates of the college during 2010/11, only 4% of the graduates of the college were government sponsored. The rest 96 percent constitute private and self sponsored graduates who joined the college in their own initiatives. This clearly shows that the region hasn’t been fully using the college for the purpose it is established. This calls for critical assessment and evaluation of the teacher training system in the region and devising possible mechanisms. Regional planners and administrators therefore, need to carry out realistic teacher management activities to achieve objectives relating to: forecasting the demand for and supply of teachers; recruit new teachers into training; upgrade unqualified teaching force in the system; implement strategies to retain teachers and make the profession attractive; and assess the effective utilization of teachers at schools



Primary School Teachers