Study on the Status of Beekeeping In Qolla–Temben Wereda, Tigray Regional State

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



The present study was undertaken in Qolla-Temben Wereda, Central Tigray Zone, Tigray Regional State. The study addressed diverse issues related to beekeeping, including beekeepers perception about bee biology, honeybee flora, as well as honey harvesting and marketing. Data were collected through semi-structured interviews, face to face discussions with the farmers and/or development agents; by making household and/or field observations, as well as through market surveys. The collected data were analyzed and summarized under the following five categories, namely: (1) socioeconomic characteristics of the studied households; (2) Beekeeping activities of the studied communities; (3) farmers perception about bee biology and honeybee flora; (4) honey harvesting; and (5) honey marketing. The present study found out that, of the total beekeepers interviewed 86 were married while 10 and 3 were single and divorced, respectively. It was discovered that 75 of the respondents prefer modern beehives to traditional beehives. On the other hand, 20 of the respondents showed preference to traditional beehives, compared to 3 of the farmers who preferred transitional beehives. The present study showed that the prime time for honey harvesting in Qolla Temben Wereda was October to November, with October as a peak harvesting month for obtaining the largest quantity and quality of honey. The study also found out that, of the total beekeepers 59.2% have reservations on the favorability of the prevailing honey markets. On the other hand, 40.8% beekeepers rate the prevailing market favorability for their honey as positive. They said that the financial and labor inputs of farmers on beekeeping do bring the intended benefits. But this benefit depends up on the season of the year, when it may double, triple or even more. The present study identified lack of knowledge and skilled manpower (56.1% of the respondents), as well as lack of proper equipment (23.5%), and prevalence of pests and predators (20.4%) as major constraints for honey production by small-holder farmers. We conclude that beekeeping brings substantial changes in the farmer’s socioeconomic conditions by serving as alternative means of income generation.



Bee Forage, Bee Sting, Bee Waxes, Queen