Demographic and Socio-economic Correlates of Rural Urban Migration in Gulele Sub-City of Addis Ababa

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


The main objective of this study was to examine the effect of the demographic and socioeconomic correlates of rural urban migration in Gulele sub-city of Addis Ababa. It also tried to explain the network of information by migrants to arrive a particular destination, and the interrelations of rural-urban migration with respect to demographic and socio-economic variables. Descriptive and explanatory research designs as well as qualitative and quantitative research approach were employed in conducting the study. The data were collected through the questionnaire and key informant interviews with the concerned individuals who are assumed to be knowledgeable in the subject under investigation; as well as document mining and publications. The results of the study showed significant interrelationships between in-migration and demographic and socio economic variables. Implications and recommendations were suggested in accordance with the major findings. Further Analysis of data revealed that the majority (77.4% ) of in migrants were male and the remaining (22.6 percent) were females. While about 70.5 % of them were married and 29.5% were single. The results of multiple regression analysis estimated, household size, and sex were found to be statistically significant variables at p-value less than .05 ( α=.05 ) affecting the migration process as well as drivers of in migration.



The demographic and socio-economic correlates of rural urban migration