Design and Simulation of Grid-Tied Photovoltaic, Thermal and Biogas Energy Generating Systems to Power Universities in Ethiopia :A Case of Addis Ababa University , Collage of Natural and Computational Science.

No Thumbnail Available



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title


Addis Ababa University


This paper confers with a study and unfold to systematic know how on how to furnish Ethiopian universities with power using their own abundantly available renewable energy resources and to establish a project for the same purpose. In pursuance of that, it was conducted by collecting and analyzing relevant and required data like electrical energy consumption, weather and site of the targeted universities while also rendering comprehensive attention to other design standards as well as specifications of machineries. The worst case design is thoroughly regarded herein the design section for it is more convincing with respect factor of safety in the event solar radiation falls below the annual average and when there is a minimum amount of biogas resource. The simulation, optimization and sensitivity analysis of the project is dealt by renewable energy tools of HOMER software. Foundation of the hybrid energy generating system is surfaced and actualized by making estimation of solar and biogas resource at a given site. The source data for AAUCNCSc revealed that a mean incident solar radiation of 3.66 kWh/m2/day and a potential of about 24 tons of biogas resource per a day can be collected considering safety factor for the variation as per day to day and month to month basis. The data collected for this study further showed that the electrical energy demand of the site was 104,870 kWh in the design year (July 2012) in which a combination of the two systems are going to offset the necessity. The assessment conducted revealed that out of the total of 104,870 kWh energy needed close to 81% is furnished by and fulfilled with biogas energy generating system while the remaining 19% of it is contributed by PV/T system and yet 0.00492kWh/yr (0.00%) is found to be excess which ought to be sold to the national grid . Pursuant to the financial analysis of HOMER, given to designed HPV/TBS and within an optimum cost of electricity (COE) of 0.263 $/kWh, renewable fraction (RF) of 1 can be obtained. Generally, if and when the total cost of PV/T modules, the Biogas generators and the converter are US$ 535,750.00, US$ 50,000.00 and US$ 8,000.00 respectively. The software further showed that in the emission analysis 4,172,041kg/yr of CO2, 18,099 kg/yr SO2 and 7,935 NO can be removed if this renewable design of the hybrid system is to be implanted instead of non renewable equivalent.



Pursuant to the financial, Analysis of HOMER