AAU Institutional Repository

ISOLATION AND MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION OF POX VIRUSES CIRCULATING IN SHEEP AND GOAT FROM OUTBREAK CASES IN SELECTED DISTRICT OF ZONE ONE OF AFAR, ETHIOPIA

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Dr. Gezahagne mamo, Dr. Esayas Gelaye
dc.contributor.author AGERITU, MOHAMMED
dc.date.accessioned 2020-12-15T07:18:06Z
dc.date.available 2020-12-15T07:18:06Z
dc.date.issued 2020-08
dc.identifier.uri http://etd.aau.edu.et/handle/123456789/24064
dc.description.abstract Sheep and Goat poxvirus disease outbreak investigation was conducted to isolation and molecular characterization of pox viruses circulating in sheep and goat in outbreak cases in Mille district from December 2019 to April 2020 on a total 738 local breeds of sheep and goat in selected district of zone one of Afar region. A total of 738 sheep and goats (353 sheep and 385 goats) from Weranso and Geraro Kebele (in which the outbreaks occurred) were clinically examined for the presence of pox lesion on their skin. Out of these, 63 (8.5%) of sheep where as 123 (16.7%) of goats were found to be positive for pox lesion on their skin. The overall proportion of morbidity and mortality of SGPV was 25.2% and 2.3% respectively. Based on the observation the average morbidity and mortality of SGPV was high in goat than sheep, in young than adult and in male than female. The sampling methods was purposive and a skin nodular tissue samples were taken from 14 species from both (species, breed and sex) in order to isolate the field strain of SGPV circulating in and around Mille district of zoon one Afar. From that 14 tissue samples the virus was isolated on Vero cells line. Additionally, the isolated virus was identified by Conventional Polymerase Chain Reaction (CPCR) and Real time Polymerase Chain Reaction technique which is more sensitive molecular advanced technique for diagnosis of Capri pox virus. The tissue culture showed a typical characteristic of pox virus, cytopathic effect of cell ballooning, aggregation, rounding of cells and detaching of cells on Vero cell culture. Similarly, the conventional PCR revealed that out of 14 tested samples 11 samples were positive by developing band size of 172bp, where as three of them could not produce any band size on gel electrophoresis. In conclusion as complained by the owners and during field examination, SGPV disease was found to be a serious disease in the study area. Accordingly, further investigation is needed on identification of the causative agents and molecular characterization of SGPV and risk factors of the disease in selected district of zone one of Afar region. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.subject Afar region en_US
dc.subject Out-break en_US
dc.subject Polymerase chain reaction en_US
dc.subject Polymerase chain reaction en_US
dc.subject Sheep and goat poxvirus, virus isolation. en_US
dc.title ISOLATION AND MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION OF POX VIRUSES CIRCULATING IN SHEEP AND GOAT FROM OUTBREAK CASES IN SELECTED DISTRICT OF ZONE ONE OF AFAR, ETHIOPIA en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search AAU-ETD


Browse

My Account