AAU-ETD AAU-ETD
 

Addis Ababa University Libraries Electronic Thesis and Dissertations: AAU-ETD! >
College of Education >
Thesis - Business Education >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/41

Title: AN INVESTIGATION INTO SOME ASPECTS OF THE EPIDEMIOLOGY OF CUTANEOUS LEISHMANIASIS IN SARIS, ADDIS ABABA
Authors: Girum, Erenso
Keywords: Epidemiology
Cutaneous Leishmaniasis
Saris Abo
Yoseph
Worku Sefer
Date Added: 31-Aug-2007
Abstract: Cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL) is one of the endemic diseases in Ethiopia. It’s widespread over several parts of the highlands of the country. Currently, it is becoming a major challenge in the highlands near and/or surrounding Addis Ababa. However, there was little information on the prevalence of CL around Bulbula river basin in Saris adjoining Saris Abo, Yoseph and Worku Sefer study sites, the suburbs of Addis Ababa. A survey was carried out to describe some aspects of the epidemiology of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the surroundings of Bulbula river in Saris (Addis Ababa) especially Saris Abo, Yoseph and Worku Sefer. A house to house survey of the study population (1010 persons) was undertaken of Saris Abo, Yoseph and Worku Sefer. Clinical, smear, culture and Leishmanin skin test (LST) were used to detect Leishmania parasite. Based on this investigation; Saris Abo, Yoseph, and Worku Sefer study sites had infection rates of, 3.6%, 0.6% and 1.1%, respectively. The overall cutaneous lesihmanisis prevalence rate was 1.7% (17/1010). More active cases were found aggregated around hyrax colonies in Saris Abo site and most common in age group 10-19 years. Males were found to be the most affected by the disease as compared to females. Since the males’ activities are outdoors in the field, infection could probably have occurred near hyrax colonies (extradomiciliary transmission). Uivariate multiple and pairwise comparisons showed significant differences in age groups 10-19 and below (P= 0.03), study sites (P= 0.002) and between sex (P= 0.02). This study suggests that CL has been found to be a public health problem surrounding the Bulbula river basin, especially in the study site of Saris Abo where the highest infection rate was recorded (3.6%).
Description: A thesis submitted to the School of Graduate Studies: In partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Degree of Master of Science in Biology (Biomedical Streamcience)
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/41
Appears in:Thesis - Biology

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Girum Erenso.pdf1.26 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in the AAUL Digital Library are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

  Last updated: May 2010. Copyright © Addis Ababa University Libraries - Feedback