Addis Ababa University Libraries Electronic Thesis and Dissertations: AAU-ETD! >
College of Education and Behavioral Studies >
Thesis - Educational Leadership & Management >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/3751

Title: The Impact of Supervisory Behavior on Teachers' Satisfaction with Supervision, in Region Three Senior Secondary Schools
Authors: Dessalegn, Tekle
Advisors: Dr. Seyoum Teferra
Copyright: May-1997
Date Added: 14-Nov-2012
Abstract: The purpose of this study was intended to investigate the impact of supervisory behavior on teachers' sa tisfaction wi th supervision, in Region Three Senior Secondary Schools during the 1988-1989 school year. 20 Schools were selected from all the zones by proportionate stratified sampling technique to ensure the quota of each zone in the sample. To facilitate the next move, 6 basic questions were stated to guide the study. Based on this, two sets of questionnaires were prepared and pilot-tested to rectify the reliability of the tool. Split-half reliability test was used, and those reliability coefficients greater or equal to 0.75 were included in the final data gathering tool. 458 teachers and 40 supervisors returned properly completed questionnaires. To analyze the data, frequency percentage, t-test, correlation, and stepwise multiple regression analysis were used. In this respect, as it was discussed in each section of the analysis, many Region Three Senior Secondary School teachers indicated that their satisfaction with the supervisory behavior of their supervisors is nearly below average, which in turn may have a negative consequence on the overall operation of the schools. Of all predicator variables involved ~n this study, qualification, supervisory leadership skills, techniques of classroom supervisory procedures, and the function of supervisors in facilitating in-service education have emerged statistically significant to be used .zn the stepwise mul tiple regression analysis. Here, the above four mentioned predictor variables have statistically significant relationship wi th the overall sa tisfaction measure. However, the degree of their impact is not substantial in each ceee : that is, the relationship between teachers and supervisors is very loose predicting that teachers are not satisfied with the supervisory behavior of the supervisors. On the whole, the four predictor variables (X5, X6, Xl' X7) .in the model, taken together accounted for about 19.2 percent of the total variance, whereas the remaining 80.8 percent is to be considered by the unexplained factors which can be examined further in depth by those who have the interest.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/3751
Appears in:Thesis - Educational Leadership & Management

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Dessalegn Tekle.pdf61.25 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in the AAUL Digital Library are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.


  Last updated: May 2010. Copyright © Addis Ababa University Libraries - Feedback