AAU-ETD AAU-ETD
 

Addis Ababa University Libraries Electronic Thesis and Dissertations: AAU-ETD! >
Faculty of Science >
Thesis - Environmental Sciences >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/2134

Title: STUDY ON CURRENT STATUS OF INSTITUTIONAL BIOGAS PLANTS IN ETHIOPIA
Authors: Tadesse, Lulie
Advisors: Araya Asfaw (Ph.D)
Copyright: Jun-2010
Date Added: 3-May-2012
Abstract: Abstract Biogas is potential source of energy, particularly where there is an abundant supply of waste organic matter. Thus, it is expected that, the greater part of the potential have to be realized through community (institutional) biogas plants of large capacities. Therefore, it is paramount to come up interest in Biogas technology growing in Ethiopia at institutional level in addition to at household level. Thus, monitoring of the adoption or adaptation of Institutional biogas technologies is an integral part of the biogas technology dissemination or transfer system. The overall objective of the study was to assess the status of institutional biogas plants constructed across Ethiopia over the past years. The field study was carried out in the selected five regions by taking four different road routs from Addis Ababa. Analysis and interpretation of the result have been done with the data and information from the selected regions using SPSS Software. The general outcome of this study suggested that the distribution of biogas technology in Ethiopia relative to its demand and potential is insignificant. As the study indicates, during the 27-year period, covering 1974 to 2001 E.C, the total number of institutional biogas plants in the selected five regions (i.e. Amhara, Addis Ababa, Oromia, SNNPR and Harari) was 91. The most important purpose for the installation of biogas plants in 94.5% institutions were for cooking. However, 5.5% institutions installed biogas plants for the purpose of teaching or demonstration only. Even though, there are a number of defects and weaknesses, the functional status of biogas plants on average was satisfactory. However, there are lots of rooms for further improvement. Out of the 91 plants under study, 51.6% plants were functioning and the remaining 48.4% plants were not functioning (i.e. gas could not be utilized) at all during the time of field investigation. Besides technical and construction problems, there is high management problem in School/Colleges/University and Prisons than in Hotels, Hospitals, and other institutions. This poor management in the former institutions might be either due to less demand for biogas or due to lack of the sense of ownership or responsibility. The performance of institutional biogas system is highly related on one hand to the commitment and support of the institution managers and on the other hand to the skills of internal operators and the technical and maintenance support availed for each institution. For almost all institutions visited, there is a strong need of permanent technical support.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/2134
Appears in:Thesis - Environmental Sciences

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Tadesse Lulie.pdf1.16 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in the AAUL Digital Library are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

  Last updated: May 2010. Copyright © Addis Ababa University Libraries - Feedback